Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Raymond Tyler Remembers Maya Angelou

I Think We Should Be Happy


I have just now heard of the passing of Dr. Maya Angelou.

Yes! My Heart Is Sad!

However, when I think of that warm smile....and the words she gave that always played like music....
it is so hard for me to remain sad.

There are few artists that I felt "BROKE CHAINS" in almost everything they did with their craft.
Maya Angelou was one such artist.

Her body is gone from us.....and the world is now not as bright as it was just yesterday.

However, that leave even more work for those of us here....

Leaves us with more of a responsibility to create art that is about LIFE, PURPOUSE, BREAKING CHAINS...

I do think it's okay for us to happy on this sad day.

I think it's okay to remember the ground she broke for Black writers with the success of I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS!

I think it's okay for us to happy and recall every church service, youth gathering, or other public event where someone or a group of young ladies performed STILL I RISE!

I can't be sad when I recall her discussing with joy playing the matriarch of The Kinte Family in Roots.

When I think about the hundreds of young people I taught poetry by having them read in a group
"LIFE DOESN'T FRIGHTEN ME AT ALL." I smile.

When I recall her poetry and acting on The Richard Pryor Special....my heart swells with pride and my face smiles.

Today is one of the saddest days I have ever known.....but I hope it's okay to smile.

I pray that she would have wanted to be missed and she is dearly....but I pray that she would not want people to feel sad or defeated....because I don't. I feel happy that God lent her to us. That she thought it not a crime to a good person. I feel happy for all that she gave to this world and hope that one day....I can give half as much back.

___________________________
 
Thanks to our sponsors
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment